Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jack Lalanne's Live Young Forever

After seeing Jack and Elaine Lalanne on PBS during the fund-raising period showing their fitness regimen, I decided to look more closely at him. He is in his 90s and is still very fit and active. I'd also seen him on some 60 Minutes and other news program interviews over the past couple of years.

I decided to check out his book--Live Young Forever: 12 Steps to Optimum Health, Fitness, & Longevity--from my local library. He has some excellent advice. He's been on this fitness train for over 70 years, and I agree with pretty much everything he says. His philosophies of eating fresh vegetables and fruits, exercise that includes daily stretching, getting a good night's sleep, quitting smoking, drinking alcohol only in moderation if at all, avoiding too much caffeine, and being happy each day to be alive are all viewpoints I share.

He believes in avoiding pharmaceutical drugs unless for life sustaining purposes and that most people can enjoy good health by taking care of themselves, eating healthy foods, exercising, and so on, and thus slim down and avoid the need for prescription drugs to alleviate health problems. In other words, by living a healthy lifestyle, you don't need prescription drugs like anti-depressants, cholesterol-lowering statins, and so on.

We as a nation are overweight, obese, full of health problems as a result, and could be happier and healthier by doing away with sugar and too much fats in our diet. We should focus on eating foods that are grown in a clean way, and not for example animal flesh raised on factory farms where the animals are treated inhumanely and more predisposed to disease and spreading harmful bacteria. We will help ourselves and the planet by eating and supporting local, especially organically-grown produce.

I highly recommend his book as a way to re-examine our lifestyles, eating and exercise habits, and how we can get more out of our lives by being healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment